Sunday, September 28, 2008

Venetian Veal Pie

Here you go people...I promise you won't be disappointed! This is the best I could figure out the recipe. Of course my grandma has been making it forever, so she has made a few changes. I tried to figure most of them out. Sorry if this is confusing!

Ingredients (For pie innards...just because I like that word)

1 lb round or sirloin steak
1/2 C flour (for coating meat)
1/4 C butter (for cooking meat)

2 C tomatoes (1 tall can)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/4 C chopped onion
3 Tbs grated Parmesan
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp sweet basil, 1/2 tsp each of salt, garlic salt, and oregano.

1/4 lb of sliced cheddar

Crust Ingredients

1 1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 C grated Parmesan
1/2 C oleo
4 or 5 Tbs water

For Crust

Combine crust ingredients and mix as for any crust. Roll out about 2/3 of dough and line pie pan. Make circles of remaining dough for top.

Innards Instructions

Cut meat into 1 inch pieces. Flour and brown in butter. Add remaining ingredients (tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, Parmesan, sugar, and spices). Cook slowly until meat is tender stirring frequently and adding a little water as it cooks down. Pour into unbaked crust, top with 1/4 lb of sliced cheddar and then circles of dough (see crust directions!) Bake at 350 degrees until crust is brown.

*Note: My grandmother says she skips the flouring and cooking the meat in butter. She just throws all of the ingredients (but not the flour!) into the electric skillet and cooks until the meat is done.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new layout!!! - Lindsay W

Rhonda said...

Cute new blog. I'm overwhelmed by the genius of my children. What great genes they came from!!

Leah said...

Sounds yummy!!!

I love the new layout!! Where'd you get it from?

The Joyce Family said...

Love your new layout and so organized!

Amanda McD said...

Thanks! I made it...the layout...not the recipe:)

The Lewis Family said...

I tagged you.... Look at my blog and you'll see. You MUST do it:)

Leah said...

you made the layout?! OH MY GOSH! You are so talented! :-) I love it! Did you use scrapbooking type stuff? Maybe you can teach me someday!