Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Hummus


I'm going to be honest. When I worked at my old school, I pretty much ate whatever I wanted. Everyone else did, and I followed the crowd. I don't know if you have heard about elementary schools, but they are like a food vortex. Basically, all sorts of food is constantly coming in to the school for various events, and none of it ever comes out.

My new school is a little different. I am surrounded by people who eat carrot sticks and snow peas for lunch. Sheesh! I will admit that it is intimidating. In the past I would have carried my Sonic breakfast into school loud and proud as if to say, "Don't you wish you were me...Ha!" Now, the few times I have stopped by to pick up breakfast this year, I have buried it in the bottom of my bag and pulled it out in the privacy of my office.

This is probably not the best solution, though. The best solution is probably to actually eat healthier. So...I am making an effort. This is my 4th day without any tea or soda. That's a big deal for me. I have also been trying to cook more at home, and I have been trying to find healthier snack foods.

Now, before I came to Frisco, I thought hummus sounded like a disease you don't tell people you have. But...a couple of the girls at school let me try some, and it's actually pretty good! I bought some at the store (Sprouts) yesterday, and it's my favorite yet. Basically, hummus is steamed and pureed chickpeas, but I like the ones that have stuff mixed in. The Artichoke Spinach Hommus (everyone spells it different) is great. Try some for yourself...it's better than hiding fast food in your purse.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

They just had that on the Food Network. It is very healthy and so I hate it on spec!! Just kidding I tried it at that greek restaurant and didn't care for it but the man on the FN said that it was better with the flavored varieties. They said the United States was responsible for adding flavors...just another way we do things better here!!

The Lewis Family said...

"Hummus, I got the hummus." Look at you all healthy!

Lauren Kate said...

Ha ha ha...schools are filled with food. That's all the teachers talk about with each other...food! I agree with you about preferring hummus with something mixed in it. And I'm glad you also use the "..." in your writing!