Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Training Wheels for All


Sticking with my "cableless" post from yesterday, I would like to go on record and say that I used to spend a lot of time outdoors. Not so much anymore. When I was little, I remember riding the ol' bike around the neighborhood a lot. I still have some scars to prove it. There's a reason my nickname was Boo Boo Amanda growing up.

Well, now it's been about, oh, 17 years since I have been on a bike. I'm pretty sure that I tried to get back on one back some years ago and couldn't for the life of me remember how to steer it.

Well, every once in a while I decide that Mike and I should really get bikes and start riding them. And every time, Mike very gently reminds me of what a horrible idea this would be. Mostly because I would end up either in a ditch or a body cast. And he's right.

So, I have come up with a solution. I was driving through my school's neighborhood today and saw a very cute toddler with his training wheels. I couldn't help but think, "Oh man, in a few years he'll be dying to get those off." But why, I ask? Why do the training wheels have to come off? I don't think they should, and I am proposing the beginning of a new era. The adult bike with training wheels era. They're out there. So why aren't more people using them? I'll tell you why. Shame. I am here to break down those stereotypes and proudly proclaim that the training wheel is back! Now if I can just find a Vera Bradley bike helmet...

1 comment:

Libby said...

Love it! In college, I went on a mission trip to Holland...bikes everywhere...I hadn't been on one since elementary school...OH...MY...WORD...lots of laughs were had at the bumbling, falling American on her bike....good times...I second the adult training wheels, I'll be riding along side:)