Monday, March 30, 2009

Plant Eater...Sometimes


Lately, I have been a big fan of salad. It may have even become one of my favorite foods. Now, for those of you that have fallen out of your chairs, rest assured. I would like nothing more at the moment than to go to my nearest steakhouse and order a fillet and baked potato. With Butter. And Cheese. And Sour Cream. Shoot, you can even melt some butter over the steak for me if you want. Yum.

Enough about my heart attack on a plate. Back to the salads. I like a good salad, but I never seem to make a very good one at home. I can make one out of a bag of course, but leave me to my own devices and soon I'm mixing ranch dressing and crushed up ramen noodles. BUT...today I did it. I made an edible salad. I was so proud of myself that I just had to share.

See, I had a salad yesterday at Paradise Bakery, and despite the fact that one of the fork tongs broke off in my mouth and I almost died from Fork Lacerations to the Intestine, I really enjoyed it. So...I took mental note of everything in it and marched myself up to Market Street last night to buy the ingredients. Again, you don't need to worry about me, because while I was there I felt the need to eat a chicken fried steak. And macaroni and cheese. And mashed potatoes.

Anyhow, without any further ado I give you my salad. Don't laugh at how simple it is.
*Chopped Romaine...not even from a bag, thank you.
*Craisins
*Bleu Cheese crumbles...I have a deep love for this stuff
*Sunflower Seeds...dehulled please
*Lite Caesar Dressing...or the hard stuff if you want.

That's it. Do you have a favorite salad? Would you like to share it with me? If so, leave it here. But I'm not going to lie. I may decide to eat steak instead.

5 comments:

joeandjan said...

Looks great! When can I come for dinner? Seems like you're getting to be quite the cook...maybe some of your mom did rub off! BTW, my favorite salad is anything with fresh spinach.

The Lewis Family said...

Another food post so soon?! Your life really does revolve around it. KIDDING! :) Looking forward to this weekend... maybe we can find a time to hang out before Sunday. Not sure when that would be....

Wholly Hannah said...

I had that salad at Paradise Bakery last week, so delicious!! Unfortunately, it was like the worst salad caloric wise on the menu ... oh well.

brooke said...

In Puerto Rico I had a salad that was really great. It was a Caesar Salad with a twist. Instead of romano cheese and chicken, the restaurant used manchego cheese and serrano ham. To make this salad just buy a bag caesar salad, manchego cheese, and serrano ham. Then sherd the cheese, add some ham, mix, and enjoy!

Nelle said...

We have a store here that has carmalized walnuts. They are heavenly if you like nuts with a touch of sweet they spruce up any salad. One of my favorites is a type of Greek salad I just add feta cheese and black olives. Yumm and very healthy.