Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Doll or Real Baby?


When I was growing up, I loved the American Girl books. I read them all, and sometimes I would get the doll catalog in the mail and go through and pick out which one I wanted. I never got one (when it came down to it those dolls were never a priority on my wish list), and I can't say it really mattered to me.

Now, with the American Girl stores, you see more and more girls with these dolls. Go to the Galleria in Dallas, and every other girl is walking around with one. This is totally understandable because there is an American Girl store there. The girls can bring their dolls, get them new clothes, and even have a tea party with them. I am not going to lie...I would totally go sit in the cafe and eat with the dolls.

That being said Mike and I couldn't help but roll our eyes a little bit last night.

Last night Mike and I were at Chili's and two girls (probably about 10 years old) came in with their moms. The girls got their own table across from their moms, but that is fairly common. I noticed that the girls had their AG dolls, and I thought they were cute.

Then, the waiter had to bring two highchairs for their dolls to sit in. Oh, yes siree. High Chairs. At Chili's. Am I the only one that thinks this might be going too far? Now I know that I would probably feel different if my own children were totally into their dolls. I don't know. But the fact that I couldn't even walk through the walkway without scooting past dolls in highchairs just made me laugh.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Oh my goodness!! I would be rolling my eyes as well! I actually had a Samantha doll! I loved her. She had her own room in my room (bed, closet, table, kitchen, rug, etc) but I was never allowed to take her anywhere unless it was to a friend's house for a party of some sort! I didn't realize how huge these things had gotten until the stores started coming out! I still have my doll in a trunk at my parents' house. Unfortunately, I had a thing for cutting hair when I was young, and Samantha got a little trim one time, so that beautiful long hair is about shoulder length! :) Memories...

Benita :) said...

I loved those stories too!! I never got a doll either but I read them all. I told one of my students about them and she fell in love with them. She read all the books and got a doll. They are just so cute! :)

Rhonda said...

Cute new blog!

Nelle said...

I love your new blog look. I have a niece Cassandra who lost her Mommy about two years ago. She was just 8 at the time. She longed for one of these dolls. I was making no money at the time and money was very tight. I purchased one slightly used, along with a bad and some other accessories. On her first birthday without her Mom we drove there to be with her. She opened that present and went crazy. She takes her doll with her everywhere and for Christmas I get a little something for her. The doll has PJs and sleeps in her bed next to my niece. I got her the one that looked more like, Kit and last year they did a movie about her life. Having said all that, I do not think that the dolls needed highchairs.