Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

About this time last year I was getting ready and packing my bags to embark on one the most memorable and amazing experiences of my life. I had to make sure I had my cape, my mask, and of course, my fanny pack. A poorly executed Halloween costume? Nope. Last year, with my team "Holy Hooters Batman," I walked 60 miles in the Breast Cancer 3-Day. We trained for months, and I wasn't sure what to expect (besides lots of blisters and muscle pain).

What I saw was a group of men and women that were stronger than I could have ever imagined. What I saw was an elderly man who walked the 60 miles in a boot because his foot was crushed. What I saw were two men in uniform walking the entire way in their army boots. What I saw were women in pink survivor shirts...women whose hair had not even begun to grow back yet after chemo. What I saw was the belief that together we can make a difference.

Now, I had my moments. One very vivid memory has me crouching next to the porta-potties (oh yeah, 3 days of that!) at 3:00 in the morning crying into my cell phone to Mike because I couldn't sleep. It didn't help that I was in a tiny tent with hundreds of other people around me in 30 something degree weather. But even that memory is dulled compared to the others. The crowds of people lined up on the streets cheering you on, the people you meet and the stories they have, and just the sheer craziness of what we were doing! I mean, it's not every weekend you decide to walk 60 miles. But we did it...and the feeling I had after it was over was one of great accomplishment. I don't know if I made a huge difference...but hopefully I made a small one. For our mothers, daughters, sisters, and friends.


Me and my team...Holy Hooters Batman! (Holy Hooters was taken...as was my personal favorite...Saving Second Base...ha!)


Amy and Mike at a cheering station.


My mom representing with the pink hair!

The end of a long day...luckily my mom was right around the corner with Sprinkles cupcakes. When you walk that far, you can eat one!


Tent city...it was actually really fun!




All done! At this point I was only standing because I wasn't sure if I could get up again if I sat! I will admit...my feet have never been the same...but it was totally worth it!

3 comments:

Libby said...

What an awesome thing to do, Amanda...much respect here:)

Rhonda said...

I cried watching all the amazing people last year and I cried again as I read your description. Not everyone can walk 60 miles but anyone can stand and cheer the participants on and I highly recommend it. It was the same feeling I had when I watched this country come together after 9-11 and the same feeling I get when I watch a random act of kindness. Affirmation that our God is great and still working hard through His angels in this crazy, crazy world!

Lauren Kate said...

That was so great Amanda- you are wonderful dear!