Monday, February 09, 2009

I am not a criminal...I promise

There is something about me that you don't know. Something that you may judge me for. But don't. It's not my fault. I try to leave stores without paying for things...a lot. Today was one of those days, but this time it was not my fault! I was at Target this afternoon really proud of myself as I walked out the door. I had only spent 30 dollars, and I had gotten a bunch of food, some containers, and even a hardback book! Then it struck me...there was no way! So...out came the receipt. Sure enough, the lady hadn't charged me for the book. Sigh. Off to the customer service line I went. Have I mentioned that this same thing happens to me all the time at Target? Maybe they are just trying to give me free stuff. Who knows? All I know is that every time I walk up and explain that I didn't pay for something, they look at me kind of weird. But they always take the money.

Like I said, though, this is not the only time this has happened to me. I am that girl who rolls out with the soft drinks under the cart...only to have to roll back into the store hoping someone doesn't arrest me.

My finest moment, though, came at the self check out stand. Scan the items. Check. Put them in the bag. Check. Walk out of the store. Wait. Oh, that's right. I did it. It hit me as I was driving away that I had never actually paid for the stuff. So...back into the store I went. And I actually had to convince them that I had not paid. Again, I got the crazy girl look.

Here's the thing. Never have I been chased down or arrested. Apparently, I have that innocent look about me. But watch out stores...I just may take your stuff. But when I figure it out, I'll always come back and pay for it. I promise.

4 comments:

The Lewis Family said...

I ALWAYS almost steal the water that's underneath the buggy. And, like you, I make it all the way to my car before realizing it. It's hard being honest people:) Next time, just steal it and see what happens. Kidding, kidding!

Rhonda said...

You failed to mention that you started your life of crime very early. When I still counted your age in months rather than years, I took you shopping. When I went to lift you out of the stroller you presented me with your brand new stuffed animal...which I had not bought!!! I had to walk all the way back across the parking lot into the mall to return your ill gotten gains. Only a matter of time until you lose that look of innocence and I have to come bail you out!! I can see it now, "Minister's wife arrested for stealing Q-tips."

Rhonda said...

P.S. What book did you get?

Greg G said...

Little Miss Innocent??? remember the time you JUST happened upon your mother's Christmas list?? and JUST happened to be flipping the pages looking at it?? uh huh...