Saturday, June 14, 2008

Go Green or Go Home



Today was a monumental day in my grocery shopping life. For those of you who aren't around me on a daily basis, you need a little back story. With all of the new talk about "green this" and "organic that," I must admit that I have jumped on the green bandwagon. I have become obsessed with checking product labels for evil ingredients. I have started buying more organic foods. I have even switched to all natural deodorant (after a test run to make sure I wasn't going to pollute the air around me)!

With my new found "greenness" comes my new pet peeve. Plastic shopping bags! I feel that it is my mission to rid the world of them....or at least my world. So, I bought a couple of reusable bags and got going. The only problem I have run into is the fact that I don't have enough for full-on grocery shopping yet. Today, though, I decided I didn't care. I was going to go plastic bag free dang it! So there I was, armed with 3 small reusable bags facing a grocery list of about 30 items. I made it though! I don't know how the checker felt as I was trying to stuff 10 items into a small bag...or how the woman behind me felt as I started chucking meat and veggies into my basket without bags...but that's okay. It's a start!

2 comments:

Lauren Kate said...

You'll be happy to know that since Tim has been in PA he now grocery shops with reusable bags. So I guess when I finally get there- I will be using them too!

Anonymous said...

I use tote bags at the grocery store too! It took about six months for me to get into the habit. I was a little slow remembering to bring them with me. Now I always keep a few in the car. Often when I am just buying a couple of items I don't use a bag at all - it is so freeing!