Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What's Wrong With Education in the US


When you are a teacher, everyone wants to tell you what is wrong with education today. Standardized testing usually ranks at the top of the list. It's pretty much a given that if you mention that you are a teacher, testing is going to come up.

But I don't think that's correct. I have my own theory of what is wrong. And the culprit may surprise you. The downfall of education as we know it? Blame it on The United States Mint.

Oh, I am quite serious. As a former 1st grade teacher, I can tell you that they are really messin' with the system. I mean, how are you supposed to teach students about coins and how to recognize them when they keep changing them up?

First, it was just the quarter. "Okay, people. The quarter is the largest coin, it has ridges on the sides, and it has an eagle on the back. Or a bear. Or horses. Or mountains. Or a fish. Or a lighthouse". You get the idea.


Now, though, it's getting worse. Have you seen the new pennies? Where did the Lincoln Memorial go? I like Abe's log cabin as much as the next girl, and I celebrated his 200th birthday with my students. But why do we have to keep mixing thing up?

I actually know the reason why. Collectors like it. It preserves our history, etc., etc. But tell that to the poor kid trying to tell the difference between a quarter and a nickel. It's harder than it looks.

By the way, if you happen to work for the US Mint, I don't seriously think you have ruined education as we know it. I actually quite like our educational system. And coins.

3 comments:

joeandjan said...

lololololololol - especially loved the disclaimer!

Rhonda said...

You crack me up.

She McCord said...

you are too funny! i often laugh out loud when reading your blog! thanks for always making me smile!